Thursday, February 1, 2018

How to install SDR Sharp on Ubuntu 16.04 and 17.10

Hi everyone.
I decided to start my blog just to help world wide HAM comunity with solutions for some problems I faced myslef during installation of various software un my Ubuntu 16.04 PC.
This first post is about how to install SDR SHARP and to work with RTL USB dongle under Ubuntu 16.04.
I must say that this is not my own solution for this problem. I found it on Internet and it is posted by Mr. Michael Hirsch, Ph.D. Boston, MA (his own site).
I just wanted to make a trace for this solution and make it easy for every one when searching the web  for this problem and solution for it.
So here is original link: SDR Sharp on Ubuntu 16.04 

And here is also whole procedure also, in short steps:

1. Install SDR# prereqs
 
apt install mono-complete libportaudio2 librtlsdr0 librtlsdr-dev
  

2. Build SDR#
 
git clone https://github.com/cgommel/sdrsharp
cd sdrsharp
xbuild /p:TargetFrameworkVersion="v4.5" /p:Configuration=Release
 
 
3. Softlinks help your Mono executable find the audio libraries
 
cd Release

ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libportaudio.so.2 libportaudio.so

ln -s /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/librtlsdr.so.0 librtlsdr.dll
 
 


And finally the last step:

5. Run SDR

mono SDRSharp.exe


 Well, it is not over :) When you run like this you will probably get notice that access to specific path where SDR Sharp is installed is denied.
No problem. Just run in SUDO mode and voila, it is alive :)

sudo mono SDRSharp.exe


Note: Ignore warning messages during startup.




 Mr. Michael suggest to set audio buffer to 200ms, sample rate to 2.048Mbps . I tried and I must say that it run much better and precise at 2.4 Mbps. When I first run at sugested settings I noticed frequency offset so high (for example I receive 89,1 MHz FM and my SDRSharp show 94 MHz (or similar) ) so I just change to 2.4Mbps and everything goes well.

Quick note:

Find library paths
In general you can find the path(s) to a Linux library by:

dpkg -L libportaudio2


Thank you Mr. Michael for this solution .


73
Z34PEC

No comments:

Post a Comment